Sunday, 20 December 2009

Day 1

Well not exactly day 1. For over 10 years I've been wanting to write this piece of software. I've started twice and finished neither. What did I learn? Walk before trying to run. I was trying to do too much in one go, so simply put, my goals for the first cut are:
  1. Learn to write a GUI in Java properly. I've dabbled here and there and never quite got it
  2. Be able to create new, save and open existing files containing drum scores
  3. Export a drum score to a high quality PDF file. Leave the complexities of managing printers to someone else for now
The drum scores themselves must be complete, i.e. any time signature, handle anacrusis, highlighted chips (forte), irregular groupings etc etc.

What I'm not going to do is figure out lots of cross-platform stuff, but I will write this on a Mac so tier 1 platform is Mac and I'll make it work on Windows afterwards. The plan is to do Mac things like put the menus at the top of the screen, use Mac lingo like Quit instead of Exit etc.

Having started on version as an MDI application I've learned that's absolutely the wrong thing to do, tabbed panes is probably right, but not for now - if I build the software correctly, then the objects should be able to live in a tabbed pane container later, once we're over the basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment